The Barra Awards acknowledge and advance exemplary organizations in the Greater Philadelphia region. By exhibiting qualities of leadership, performance and adaptability, these organizations must demonstrate that they are keeping pace with a changing environment and continually looking for ways to be more effective in strengthening the communities they serve.
Each Barra Awardee receives $25,000 of unrestricted funding per year for two years. In addition to receiving core support, organizations’ leaders become members of a diverse network of entrepreneurial thinkers—their fellow awardees. We believe this combination of flexible financial support and the opportunity to share ideas with other leaders from different disciplines and networks helps them discover new ideas and better solutions to problems.
Awardees are recommended to Barra by nominators—peers selected for their experience and familiarity with the organizations that strengthen the five-county Philadelphia region. Most nominators work in the social sector themselves. Up to ten nominators are selected in each of our four areas of interest (Arts & Culture, Education, Health and Human Services). Nominators are asked to recommend up to three organizations that demonstrate exemplary leadership, performance and adaptability. Nominators are not permitted to put forward organizations that they have a current affiliation with and they remain anonymous until the awards are announced. Organizations that have received a Barra Award in the past can be nominated again.
• Individuals are invited by Barra staff to be nominators in Spring 2017.
• Barra Awards nominators will submit their recommendations in June.
• Eligible nominated organizations will receive invitations to apply on July 10th.
• Applications are due on August 11th.
• Review panels score the applications and meet to discuss recommendations in October.
• Grant recommendations are reviewed by Barra’s Board of Directors in December.
• All applicants are notified of grant decisions in December.